Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Take It With You When You Go

Can't Take It With You When You Go

Do you ever think about what'll become of your gear when you're gone? Unless you've got some pretty specific plans that are written into your will, there's no telling where it'll end up. I'm reminded of the quotation "I'm afraid my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her I paid for them"

I'm getting old enough that I'm reaching a stage that I'm wondering about stuff like that. It makes sense to me that I should start thinning the herd. On a practical level, one guitar and one bass would satisfy me to play, and they're the two pieces that I'm planning to pass on to friends when I'm gone. That means that all the other instruments should be for sale. Basically, nobody else is going to know anything about the stuff or have any idea what it's worth, so I should do it now in a pre-estate sale.

I took the first step last night and posted my Duosonic in the classifieds on Used. I'll need to start thinking about what'll be next when it sells.

How bout you guys? Do you have plans to be buried with your main guitar, or bequeath instruments to family and friends, or just add them to the assets of an estate?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

A friend & I used to joke about which guitars or other gear we'd leave each other if we went first--but it wasn't serious.

A few years ago I assisted with the dispersing of a small, humble estate of an older woman who was a close family friend.
    Much of what she left behind was thrown out because it was not of any value to anyone other than her.
    But it was important at one time.
    She was no harder though--and lived frugally with only a small amount of belongings
    Some of what she left was given away & was useful, but the stuff that was not really sellable or of importance to anybody was what made me think about my stuff--and reminded me it is just stuff
    I have no desire to be buried with any of it--well other than some clothes that will be on my body.

It taught me to hold onto things less tightly.

Take care of it while I have it and use it for good-share it when it will help others, that kind of thing--and made me think of how long I might use it.
    I am less likely to spend a large amount on any gear now--as it probably would be used by me for a shorter time than gear I now own.
    It helped me be content with what I have--still open to replacing or upgrading stuff--and trying new stuff (Good for the mind for example)
    But my family will get my gear--and some of it will be used by them & enjoyed--some of it would be sold--I have prepared some instructions on some of it--if it is to be sold. To maximize return to assist them.
    But ultimately if they toss it all away--that's up to them.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Yeah, the realization that there's less time coming to use more gear is the main reason my G.A.S. dissipated.

On the subject of being buried with your number one guitar, have you heard the story about the fellow who was buried with his blackguard Tele. At a later time, it became necessary to exhume the body and it was discovered that the Tele was missing. It turned out that a lawyer "friend" had helped himself to the guitar, and when he was caught, he protested "Yeah, but I left my cheque for $30,000 in the coffin.

In my case I suppose that the guitars will simply go to the estate and whoever is executor will dispose of them unless my kids want them, which I doubt, since none of them actually play guitar. As I get older I may also thin the herd- I really never play any of my solid body guitars at all anymore and I doubt I'd really miss them at this point.

I seriously doubt I will be buried with my guitar. Symbolic meaning aside, doing this is an incredible waste- someone else should enjoy the guitars rather than throw them in the ground to rot.

Or if you're cremated--burned up...
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

yep- total waste

I'm taking the next step in my liquidation, this time the red Strat. I'm having trouble coming up with a price. I've been contemplating asking 600, with 500 being my bottom line. Anybody have an opinion on this?

Strat body of unknown origin
    MIJ 1986 Contemporary Strat neck
    Steinberger 40:1 gearless locking tuners
    Master volume, master tone, variable coil split
    Lindy Fralin Blues Special neck and mid pickups
    Lindy Fralin Unbucker bridge pickup
    Terrapin custom-cut BRB 3-ply pickguard
    Custom Shop Parts Droptop hardtail bridge
    Atlantic Designs Strat jack with electronic tuning
    Dunlop Dual-Design Straploks

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I'm taking the next step in my liquidation, this time the red Strat. I'm having trouble coming up with a price. I've been contemplating asking 600, with 500 being my bottom line. Anybody have an opinion on this?

Strat body of unknown origin
    MIJ 1986 Contemporary Strat neck
    Steinberger 40:1 gearless locking tuners
    Master volume, master tone, variable coil split
    Lindy Fralin Blues Special neck and mid pickups
    Lindy Fralin Unbucker bridge pickup
    Terrapin custom-cut BRB 3-ply pickguard
    Custom Shop Parts Droptop hardtail bridge
    Atlantic Designs Strat jack with electronic tuning
    Dunlop Dual-Design Straploks
    Much more realistically priced than a homemade one I saw with a Jaguar style tailpiece--and poorly done woodwork--that had an $800 price tag.

I say float it at $600 and see what happens...