Thread: Computer disc issues

Computer disc issues

I'm having computer disc issues. After the hydro failure yesterday I suddenly couldn't get any sound from the receiver and speakers that are connected to the tower. I spent hours chasing my tail before I found a tiny symbol in the footer-bar marked volume, and it was checked "mute". Got rid of the mute and sound is okay for YouTube videos.....but I can't get any sound from the CD drive in the tower.

Checked to make sure all volume settings are at maximum and not set on mute, tried many audio discs, but no CD sound. I just tried a video disc (my monitor manual) and it doesn't seem to produce an image. Both audio and video discs used to start automatically when I inserted them, but now I'm not even sure if the disc drive is turning properly.

Anybody know if there's a manual "play" button I can use to start the CD drive, or a computer setting I might have inadvertently disturbed? I asked this question on a tech support forum this morning but the only guy that responded was more interested in getting me to update my computer and browser than dealing with the question I asked. I'm hoping one of our home-grown geniuses here might have an idea.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I've been yakking with one of the support techs and he's suggesting that if I can't hear the CD drive running when I load a disc, it's likely that the drive itself is pooched and will need to be replaced. I've done some preliminary searches online to see if I might be able to do the work myself. It doesn't look hard, so I'll probably tear down the computer I'm using and another HP that's a doorstop. If they seem to be compatible (Sata vs IDE connections), I'll give this a try....I'm an old FIYer, lol.

Turns out that both my doorstop computers are too old to be compatible. I just ordered a new disc drive from Newegg, and for 33.00 shipped, I'll be back in business. By the way, Newegg seems to be a good source for computer stuff, and they ship from Canada or the US.

I still suggest getting a Solid State Drive- I got one in my 7 year old desktop and the thing is lightning fast now

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I still suggest getting a Solid State Drive- I got one in my 7 year old desktop and the thing is lightning fast now
    I don't use the disc drive for a lot. I have a five disc CD player that I could be setting up for music playback. The main reason for having it in the tower is for computer programs. They all come on CD's or DVD's and if I need to delete and reload them, I'd be stuck without a way to interface them with the tower.

I'm fairly impressed with Newegg. This morning I got an email advising me that the new drive had been shipped and providing me with the tracking number. It's better service than I've from most suppliers.

I'm amazed how cheap burners have become. When our local FM station got it's first CD burner, it cost them almost thirty grand. The idea that now they're under thirty dollars boggles my mind.