Thread: Issue with YouTube

Issue with YouTube

I'm having trouble watching and downloading YouTube videos. The message I get is "Your browser does not recognize any of the available video formats". I checked to see what browsers are supposed to work. I decided to try Opera, which is one of the suggested browsers, loaded it, tried to watch YouTube, and am still getting the same message. So, now, my Firefox 52.9. Internet Explorer 8, and Opera won't work with YouTube. Can you suggest a browser other than Google Chrome that's working for you with YouTube?
    Last edited by spellcaster; 12-30-2018 at 08:27 PM.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Talked to a tech support guy that says it's not just a browser issue....That XP won't work with YouTube any more because it's HTML5 instead of Flash. It's basically Greek to me, and I don't understand why some videos still work but some don't. Anyway, it sounds like I'm screwed if I use XP.

I have the Windows 7 computer Mike graciously gave me a couple of years ago. It's been frozen for quite a while, but I assume it can be serviced, and it will be compatible with the newer 64 bit version of Mozilla that'll do HTML5 video. I never was able to figure out how to download camera photos to that Windows 7 computer, so I guess I'll have a fresh problem to tackle when I change towers.

By the way, I just now heard from the tech support guy that there may be some Flash videos still around, but because Google owns YouTube, they're very interested in manipulating customers into using Chrome, so any modern videos will be HTML5. I hate the way high tech tried to treat users like puppets and tries to pull their strings.

So what's the problem with Google Chrome?

How about Safari?
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    So what's the problem with Google Chrome?

How about Safari?
    I was under the impression from something I read in a search that Safari was for mobile devices. I didn't know I could use it on a tower, so didn't try it....Maybe it would be better than the Opera I tried and disliked or the Chrome which I hated.

When I was new to computers and was offered Chrome when it was new, I tried it and couldn't get the computer to do anything. It was a struggle, but they finally agreed to tell me how to get rid of it and get my IE6 back. When I tried it[I]today[I] I assumed that with twelve more years of computer time under my belt, I might have better luck with it, but if anything, it was worse. I couldn't find a work-around when I was having to relog into my Google account every single time I opened the browser. Secondly, the damn thing refused to operate in English and would only work in French, and thirdly, I couldn't find a way to make it do anything except a Google Search. No bookmarks, no cut and paste, and the list goes on. I thought it was the worst software I'd ever encountered.

I never had any trouble like that back when I used Google Chrome.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I use Chrome myself and never have these issues...

AT Member
    I use Chrome a lot, both at work and at home, and do not have those issues. Sorry for your struggles.

As it turned out, the difficulties I was having using YouTube ended up being a computer format issue rather than just the browser. XP computers only work on Flash videos, but won't work on HTML5, which is what most current YouTubes are done on. I've ordered a Windows 7 computer and it will use the current Mozilla browser, Firefox 59, which is HTML5 compatible.