Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer wars

Computer wars

I knew about a week ago that the handwriting was on the wall....My XP computer won't do HTML5 video and can't be upgraded to be compatible, so it was inevitable that I needed to change computers. I started just after 6:00AM - taking the system apart and putting the Windows 7 computer in it's place. I knew that computer had a problem (I stopped using it when it froze) but thought I needed to re-familiarize myself with the issues so I could describe the problem to a tech and get it fixed. When I turned it on, I had red flashing lights on the front of the tower, and the fan-pack sounded like a lawnmower. Eventually, I decided I'd just have to take it to a tech as-is and let him figure it out. I disconnected the Windows 7 computer and tried to reconnect the XP tower so I could at least get to the forum. However, I can't get a keyboard to work with the XP tower. I tried three different keyboards, and there's only one place to plug the keyboard in, so I don't know what I was doing wrong.

I finally decided that the best thing to do was expedite repairs on the Windows 7 unit, so I went to town. The tech at Staples quoted a week before they could look at it, wasn't sure if they could still get parts for the computer because it was an old one, and was reluctant to work on it because it's a Vista computer that's been upgraded to Windows 7, but I don't have the license key for the program. Long story short, I ended up in London Drugs and bought a refurbished Hewlitt Packard which comes with Windows 10. I told the salesman that I wanted to buy a Windows 7 program to load on it and he says they're no longer being sold because the format is going to become unsupported within a year. So, I'm stuck with Windows 10 which I'm dreading.

Brought the new unit home, put it all together, and discovered the computer wouldn't do anything until I opened a Microsoft account which needed a heck of a lot of personal information. First, it refused to recognize that I was in Canada, then it told me my phone number was invalid and couldn't exist, then it told me my email address (which ends in .ca) wasn't in Canada, and then it refused to accept my birthdate. I'd spent over an hour trying start the computer at that point, was completely pxssed off, loaded it all back in the box, and headed for town to get a refund. The salesman set it all up, told me I didn't need to have a Microsoft account to run it, and eventually back-doored it so it'll run without it. So finally, after almost ten hours, I've been able to google AxeTalk and get here.

I came so close today to just saying to hell with it and going off the grid. Now that I've finally got on line again, I'm completely lacking in confidence that I'll ever figure this thing out. If anybody knows of a website that offers a good tutorial on how to use Windows 10, I'd appreciate suggestions. I'm unsure how much I'll be around the forum for a while if I continue to have this kind of trouble.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I'm not really big on the whole PC vs Mac thing--but I do know people who would take your story & tell you to get a Mac...

As long as it's not Vista I tend to be okay on a PC.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I'm back on the old computer, so first visit in a while. I spent some hours trying to get a grasp on W10, but frankly, it ain't likely to happen. All I wanted was a basic tower that would play HTML5 videos on YouTube - In other words, I wanted a Falcon and got stuck with a full-load T-bird on steroids. There's just way to many things that I'll never use, but they've complicated basic things like cut-copy-paste, and installing an email program.

I'm conferring with a tech on the Tech Guys computer support forum, and trying to determine whether it would be possible to nuke the Windows 10 and install Windows 7. Having tried it, I found Windows 7 awkward compared to XP, but at least I can learn to tolerate 7. If it turns out to be possible, I've located a guy in Victoria who'll sell me a Windows 7 Pro Pack, which is both the 32 bit disc, the 64 bit disc, and the license tags for cheap. And that's a possible solution. The other thing that's belatedly occurred to me is that maybe those discs would turn my XP into something more modern that uses HTML5 instead of Flash. If that works, it probably is the most economical way to solve things. Hind-sight is 20-20.......

Axellent Member French Army Knife's Avatar
    Yeah, sometimes I wish I could get my old XT computer out, install some DOS 3.0 and get Netscape and Lotus 123 running!

Hello, I'm back after some computer skirmishes over the last couple of days. I'm using my XP tower again, which means I've got email available again, and it's also a much more pleasant experience coming here.

What I've discovered (or rather, a tech friend on the support form has found) is that this (reburbished) tower is an HP Compaq Pro 6300 Microtower which originally was a Windows 7 computer....It was obviously "upgraded" to Windows 10 during the refurbishing process. What this means is that there's an application key sticker on the casing that can be used to reactivate the Windows 7 program if it's reloaded. It has a 3rd generation Intel Core i3-3220 processor and will work fine with Windows 7 SP1. It will have all the drivers for Windows 7. All this info is coming from running the serial number on the chassis.

This is beginning to look more and more promising. If I decide to buy a Windows 7 64-bit disc, There are lots of them around.....As cheap as 12.00 in Vancouver (including shipping). I feel a lot of trepidation about doing the process myself.....It involves stuff I've never done, burning a DVD, changing bios settings, etc, and I'm afraid I'll screw something up if I try it, particularly on an unfamiliar computer format.

I'm optimistic that I can get a tech service center to do it, or hire one of the back-yarder types that advertises in-home service. I expect that they likely have the discs, and if not, I'm pretty sure someone on the other forum posted an address to the IOS page, where it can be downloaded. This is tomorrow's mission....Try and get the process started.

On a slightly different computer-related note, the disc burner in my XP tower failed a while ago. The new one arrived in today's mail, installed fairly easily, and works 100%.
    Last edited by spellcaster; 01-07-2019 at 11:24 PM.

The store I bought the new computer from refused to do the conversion to Windows 7 but offered to refund me. So, that's what I've done. Back to XP.......

I feel you, even for us youngsters, are sometimes against total upgrade and alienation of existing perfectly usable software.

Its worse with MAC, I have both, windows/PC high powered computer for my Engineering work and a MAC for creative/music/visual which is for my wife basically. If the MAC is too old, it basically cannot run higher versions of OS therefore forcing you to use your slow MAC or just buy another one.

My PC will last me maybe a couple more years, its perfectly for Gaming, but I need the raw power for my Engineering software and road design apps. but Im dreading the upgrade. to replace this, I need shell out 2-3k dollars. I can get it cheaper using used parts and sourcing and scouring then internet for good deals, but I aint got time for that.

Unfortunately we live in a disposable world. Just look at how fast people change their phones, and what happens to the old ones? landfill. recycled for some parts, but other than that, land fill. same as computers, tv, etc etc.

The only workaround Ive found is to buy the highest end you can afford, as it will last for 5-6 years, during which time you save to get another high end computer you can afford. 1-2 years in technology is already outdated. so we got no choice.

I just bought an Hewlitt Packard 8200 Elite with Windows 7 for 100.00 less than the previous Windows 10 computer cost. It should be here in a couple of weeks. A lot of screwing around, but I got what I wanted for less money. I sure hope this is the end of the computer struggles for a while.

It does suck when a perfectly good computer gets left behind--by design.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I was really expecting the new computer to take the couple of weeks they promised, or longer, so I got a nice surprise this morning. I got an email from Canada Post advising me that my parcel was available for pickup today. I won't actually get the delivery slip in my mailbox till late afternoon, but it means I can collect it today. That'll mean they got it here in six days, which is extraordinary. I'm really impressed by the speed Newegg orders get here, and how well Canada Post followed through on the delivery.