Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Organizing your music collection

Organizing your music collection

I'm assuming that there will be people who have streamlined their music collections to strictly digital formats, but I'm guessing there'll be some, like myself, who still have a sizable stock of vinyl or CD's. I'm curious how you organize your stuff....Do you arrange it alphabetically, by artist, or by genre?
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Alphabetical by artist & within artist chronologically
    With some exceptions needed for one offs

Anything with multiple artists are placed at the end alphabetically by album name.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    Alphabetical by artist & within artist chronologically
    With some exceptions needed for one offs

Anything with multiple artists are placed at the end alphabetically by album name.
    That sounds logical to me. When I was involved in the radio industry for years, pulling and then refiling records after airplay was a standard part of doing an on-air shift. In the radio application, there was a real need to distinguish between genres, so lots of stations used coloured tape on the edge of the album sleeves to mark that. Almost all my music fits into the pop/rock type so I don't need that, but it makes a sense to at least do alphabetical.

I didn't realize until I started sorting, but I've got a lot more Beatles material than any other single artist. I also seem to have a huge number of multiple-artist compilations....I think a lot of them were acquired with the idea of learning music for the bands I played in. And at this point, it's all CD's. When I sold my high-end analog stereo years ago, I decided to sell all my vinyl. Who knew that records were going to make a comeback, lol. Anyway, CD players are substantially better now than when they first appeared on the market, so it's not a bad format to have settled on. I still can't develop any enthusiasm for the more recent digital storage systems.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I organize my CD's as follows:
    Level one is: Rock, etc; Jazz; Classical; Non-English Language; Mixes
    Within each of these high level groupings I alphabetize by Artist last name/ group name

Last Christmas break my son and I took on a multi-day effort to digitize everything except the classical CD's (probably close to 1000 CD's). Now I have the entire collection on SD cards in my car.

Sadly my records are not organized in any way whatsoever, I don't play them enough to really put the effort in

I don't do it by genre, as I like to mix it up that way.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

I really need to put my CD's away in storage boxes, now that I've digitized them all...

Axellent Member French Army Knife's Avatar
    I've got many albums and as long as meta data's a mess I use cascades of subdirectories. This works very well:

MAIN MENUE:
    0_New entries (for temporary strorage)
    1_Blues..Rock..Folk..
    2_Classical
    3_Jazz
    4_Kid's
    5_E-Books
    6_.... whatever

Within Blues..Rock.. I had to subdivide prior to alphabetical order because there's so much:
    0-A, B-B, C-D, E-F, G-H, I-J, K-L, M-N, O-P, Q-R, S-ST, T-U, V-Z, Various Artists

The real challenge is further subdividing of 2_classical. This works well too:
    0-Artists (if the focus of an album is on an artist)
    1-Early Music
    2-Renaissance
    3-Baroque
    4-Wiener Hochklassik (not sure how to translate this)
    5-Romantic
    6-Modern
    7-Christmas
    8-Easter
    9-Sampler

For example within '0-Artists' there are more Subdirs:
    1-guitar
    2-keys
    3-vocal
    4-Streicher
    5-Bläser
    7-Chamber-Trio
    8-Concert-Conductor
    9-various

and so on

As I click downward the subdirectories I can let my actual mood guide me AND when I want to listen to a certain album I can find that very quickly.

On your last post , FAK, I really need to do some arranging of my digital music hierarchies because this is completely a mess.

Basically I have artists on one level and the only categories I have (on the same level) are:

Various Artists (English)
    Marches
    Verschiedene Interpreten (various artists, German)

I really need a Classical and Christmas folder

Well with it digitally I can sort it several different ways--make up playlists for themes or sort by album or artist or general genre.
    Right now I am playing a songfest called "Jazz-esque etc."

Axellent Member French Army Knife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    On your last post , FAK, I really need to do some arranging of my digital music hierarchies because this is completely a mess.

Basically I have artists on one level and the only categories I have (on the same level) are:

Various Artists (English)
    Marches
    Verschiedene Interpreten (various artists, German)

I really need a Classical and Christmas folder
    Yeah, classical music is very hard to categorize: on some albums my focus is on the composer, on some on the artist (who could be a choir, soloist, conductor,...) and on others the focus is on an event or a complete genre. That's what I call a mess! When I add an album to my nas I'll always have to decide where my (individual) focus lies. But IT WORKS!