Thread: Travel to Canada- need suggestions

Travel to Canada- need suggestions

Hi guys, I am probably going to go to Quebec for a few days this summer and unfortunately my carrier does not allow me to do international roaming. I am unconcerned about not being able to receive calls on my US-cell phone but I was looking to get a prepaid data plan with a Canadian SIM card. Anyone aware of a Canadian carrier that offers such a thing- like 1 GB for 7 days service?

I've been waiting, hoping somebody would have a suggestion for you, dB. I'm at a loss what to suggest. I know that there are a lot more options as far as cell carriers in Quebec than we have in western Canada. I can only suggest that one of them, such as Bell, Telus, Rogers or one of the others might be able to accommodate what you need. I wonder if there's some equivalent to the prepaid cell cards that provides for data instead of call time. I can only suggest contacting one of them to inquire. Good luck with it.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Thanks for getting back, SC. I've seen a few places that offer prepaid Canada through US sites, but I suspect they will all be vastly more expensive than buying locally in Canada. Worst case I just bite the bullet and do it. Surprisingly, however (and I have asked Canadians I work with) there don't seem to be nearly as many choices with prepaid data carriers in Canada as in the US.

I haven't had a lot of experience with this--when I was last in the US we checked with our provider on options and found one that worked in case we needed it.
    For the most part I kept my settings so that no apps used data, and used wifi as available.
    We were able to text without any issue or extra charges
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

After lots of internet research I decided on Google Fi, on the recommendation of a coworker. From what I understand you basically pay per MB roaming internationally and you can suspend the service for a time and keep the number active.

Just what I needed another cell phone #!