Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photobucket (again)

Photobucket (again)

I thought I had finished dealing with the BS at Photobucket. In March of 2017, I discontinued posting pictures to my Photobucket account, stopped providing links to Photobucket, and began using VGY for all of my photo-hosting activities.

Today, I received a threatening email from Photobucket advising me that I had exceeded the limits of my free Photobucket account:

"Your account is over the free limit.

The photos you are sharing on Facebook, forums, blogs and other websites are nearing the maximum allowed bandwidth that your account level allows. Free accounts are limited to 25MB of bandwidth per month.

To continue sharing your photos without interruption, you must purchase one of our unlimited hosting plans, starting at $6.29 per month. UNLOCK YOUR ACCOUNT"

Is anybody else getting this sort of mail from Photobucket after changing to a different photo-hosting service? I'm wondering if they're suffering so badly as a result of their change in policy that they're sending out a generalized form email to all the customers they've lost, hoping that people will feel some obligation to deal with them again.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Can you simply unsubscribe from their e-mails? It almost sounds like a scam the way it is worded

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Can you simply unsubscribe from their e-mails? It almost sounds like a scam the way it is worded
    I went back to the email and checked and ,no, there's no unsubscribe option. I do think this is legitimate because I sent a reply (a bit indignantly) asking what the heck they're talking about.... that I dropped using Photobucket when they abruptly changed their policy in March 2017. That got me another reply (automated) from their "Robert the Robot" with a list of answers to most frequently asked questions. It also says in small print that the stated policies are effective June 2019.....This makes me think that they belatedly realized how badly they'd tripped on their dinks and offended their customer base. This must be a way they hope to win people back. If I remember correctly, they were originally demanding about 400.00 a year to retain full privileges, and now they're saying I can be reinstated to unlimited hosting for 6.29/month.

I've been getting them as well--and sometimes it does look like a scam, but I'm not interested & don't worry about it--I just delete them.

I hardly find the email threatening though.

That would be like if they said they'd come to your home & break your knees if you didn't pay
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

At $400 per year few people would bother continuing their service. In the end I agree with Zontar, just delete any further e-mails from them without opening. Why concern yourself with this at all anymore!

I guess Photobucket's playing hardball this time. I used to be able to go into my account and view my own pictures. It appears they've completely locked me out.

(Edited to add) Apparently Photobucket has gone through a change of ownership. The new owners are trying to make amends and recapture former users by offering the new lower rates. They've gone from 120 employees to a staff of 11 which will tell you something about how their previous mistakes have impacted their business.

I've given consideration to the idea of subscribing at least on a short term basis. I have irreplaceable pictures of my late wife and other deceased family members and friends that I desperately want to access. I've emailed them, asking how this can be done....I don't have any credit cards, and they don't seem to offer an option of Paypal or cash by snail mail.
    Last edited by spellcaster; 07-24-2019 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I guess Photobucket's playing hardball this time. I used to be able to go into my account and view my own pictures. It appears they've completely locked me out.

(Edited to add) Apparently Photobucket has gone through a change of ownership. The new owners are trying to make amends and recapture former users by offering the new lower rates. They've gone from 120 employees to a staff of 11 which will tell you something about how their previous mistakes have impacted their business.

I've given consideration to the idea of subscribing at least on a short term basis. I have irreplaceable pictures of my late wife and other deceased family members and friends that I desperately want to access. I've emailed them, asking how this can be done....I don't have any credit cards, and they don't seem to offer an option of Paypal or cash by snail mail.
    If you do get access, make sure you download EVERYTHING onto your PC so this never happens again...

And about the lack of credit card- why can't you simply buy a prepaid $25 Visa? My son used one of those to start his Netflix account since he didn't have a credit card...

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    And about the lack of credit card- why can't you simply buy a prepaid $25 Visa? My son used one of those to start his Netflix account since he didn't have a credit card...
    Maybe that's a US item only....I've never seen such a thing here. I've been looking through Photobucket's list of Frequently Asked Questions, and they make mention of paying with Paypal. However, I looked again at their payment options and they show Visa, Mastercard, Amex and Discover. I wish they'd respond to the support ticket I filed yesterday.

I looked into the prepaid Visa card again, and it turns out they're available from Canada Post. If it turns out that there's no way to use Paypal I'll go the prepaid card route. I got an answer a few minutes ago from Photobucket......They claim I should still be able to access the pictures I already have stored, but it's not working for me......I can't delete pictures, and I can't download them to my computer. It's looking like I'll end up having to subscribe to get my pictures back.

Two years ago, when Photobucket changed the terms of my account, they assured me that I'd have complete access to my pictures. If I'd had any idea that they were going dick me around, I'd have taken all my pictures back right away, but I didn't see this coming. If I do end up with a subscription, you can be sure that I'll recover my pictures right away and transfer them to VGY.