View Poll Results: Do you bring a tube "first aid" kit with you to gig?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

5 62.50%
  • Yes

3 37.50%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tube Amp First aid kits?

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    well that would be the only backup if a tube goes- plug in somewhere else!
    Not sure what you are saying, dB.

Here is my point - (And this will only work if you have access to your speaker. Some combos make this easy, some don't.)
    If your amp blows (and it's not the speaker that's shot), plug your guitar or pedals into the 44 Magnum or Quarterhorse as a replacement amp for the evening. Then send the output from the 44 Magnum or Quarterhorse to your speaker.

what I meant was if you don't have a replacement tube on hand on stage your other option would be another amp or the PA

But I would have to buy an amp that I wouldn't use for anything else. I already have the tubes.
    This old boy is to frugal to do that.
    Now if you're thinking of getting me one for christmas I'd love to have the Traynor.

JJ

Okay. You're all on my Christmas list.
    Just wait while I go buy that lottery ticket...

I just sold my Crate Power Block (2x75/1x100w brick-sized SS head) because the only thing I used it for was as a practice bass head, and a $5 20+20W stereo receiver works just as well. It was part of our band's first-aid kit but I'm the one who'd never need it. Right now I've got two bass heads and after reading this thread, I'm having serious second thoughts about selling one. Not for me - I trust my GK absolutely - but for the sake of the band. The guys I play with...well, this is a bit of an outpost area so you're limited in what you can be exposed to. When I joined, they had a Wharfedale PA powered by a single 900+900W Phonic power amp. You can guess what happened on our first gig. One channel of the Phonic tanked, and we ended up doing the gig with one side powered by the remaining channel of the Phonic and the other powered by my "spare" bass head, a bridged Peavey MegaBass.

So how did our fearless leader solve the problem? By buying new mid/high cabinets to reduce our power requirements. (Wharfedale made amazing home audio in the 70s and 80s...their PA ranks up there with Mackie for reliability and with '70s Garnet for sound quality. Our tiny subs and 12" monitor-cab mid/highs ate everything the Phonic could feed them and you could still carry on a conversation at the front tables. Awful stuff.) We still haven't replaced the Phonic. But...um...fortunately(?)...we haven't had a gig since then that required our own PA, either.

If you can score a Crate for $50, it's probably worth having. Otherwise, I'd definitely go with something like the Quarterhorse or the Magnum, BUT...a friend of mine claims that he carted around a $50 100+100W receiver as a backup, and on the two occasions he needed it, didn't notice anything more than a tolerable loss of bass response over a purpose-built 100W head.