View Poll Results: Do you bring a tube "first aid" kit with you to gig?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

5 62.50%
  • Yes

3 37.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tube Amp First aid kits?

Tube Amp First aid kits?

Do you pack a emergency repair kit for your gigging amps (especially tube amps) with spare tubes,fuses, etc?

I haven't gigged with a tube amp since the early 80's, but I always packed a spare Sylania 6L6GC and 12AX7, and a 5 amp fuse.

One of the neat tips I read elsewhere as a way to pack spare fuses was to buy one of those smal universal fuse panels at an automotive store and screw it to the inside of a combo case.

For decades, I've always brought a small tool kit with soldering pencil, solder, desoldering braid, wire ties, vinyl tape, bent nose pliers, phillips screwdriver, and a good small battery light.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I do gig with tube amps and STUPIDLY I have never gotten around to assembling an emergency kit. I really need to do this because the band doesn't even play with a PA so I would be totally sunk if tubes went during a performance, unless I brought a spare amp. Please hound me on this SC! I have to get my act in gear.

This weekend we are playing in a jazz club so I can't afford an amp failure- I might have to bring two amps this time around as a fail safe. And this time I am bringing out a bigger gun than the Peavey Classic 30- I might bring my 50 watt 1967 Ampeg B12XT fliptop

In the last loud electric band I played in I used a 50 watt Peavey Valve King. I didn't carry any extra tubes but I had a Vox Pathfinder solid state as a last resort back up that could be mic'd up through the PA though.

I'm also carrying extra tools like spellcaster, a solder wand, solder and flux, a kit of assorted screwdrivers and vice grips pliers, desoldering braid, electrical tape, and a bright flashlight with NIMH rechargable batteries-a bright light is a necessity when the sound system goes on the fritz when someone gets the cables crossed and I have minutes to correct the situation....

I always pack a tool kit including soldering iron and solder but apart from a couple of spare fuses, nothing specific to my amps.
    I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets.

Well at least it isn't just me that doesn't carry spare tubes around to gigs! Although I really need to start doing that- it is probably lighter than carrying a spare amp!

Tubes

In back of each amp I have a spare rectifier,preamp tube,pair of power tubes stashed.
    See white boxes on right rear corner.

JJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amps&seat 031.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	2190  

Playing Tele and steel gave me the advantage of a "Pack a Seat." A box with folding legs, a seat cushion on top, and lots of room for my volume pedal, and lots more. I always carried a complete set of tubes, and fuses, for my amp, wrapped in foam, and tucked into the seat's extra compartments. No soldering iron though. If the problem is that serious, it ain't an "on the gig" repair.
    Ya can't pick up a turd by the clean end

When I was on tour, I would carry tubes and tools. Lately, most of my gigs are local.
    So, I agree with Hu. If it stops working on the job, the last thing I want to worry about on my break is fixing an amp. And it has happened that my amp breaks down at gigs. I just plug my pedal-board or guitar into the PA and get through the gig. Leave the amp-techin' for another day.

Twenty years I ago I was touring Northern Quebec with my band. I had a Fender 75 at the time, which is a 1X15 combo. I placed my amp on a milk-crate and never had a problem. I did this with the open part of the crate facing up, probably because that surface was reinforced with a metal rim, but also because this way I didn't have to empty the crate, whcih I used to carry my cables.
    So one day, in a little town up north, I decided to re-tube my amp. I went to the local Radio Shack and bought out his inventory of "new" tubes. They cost a lot of money up there, but we weren't going to be back in a big city for a while, so I spent what was probably a week's earnings on these tubes. I also traded in my old tubes, I suppose to try to save some of my money.
    That night, my amp was sounding better than it had in a long time. I was having a great time. Then my amp slipped off it's milk-crate stand and flipped on it's back. The milk-crate was the perfect size to fit inside the speaker cavity of my Fender 75 and it did just that, chopping off every single tube in there.
    I couldn't believe what had just happened. It was like gremlins did it!
    The next day I went back to the Radio Shack and bought back my old tubes.