Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '63 Vibroverb Reissue love

AT Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    Even though I'm not usually a fan of the colour, I think there's something really appealing about the brown amps. They seem pretty uncommon, at least around here.....I've never actually seen one in real life. And, I'd never even heard of a Vibroverb until I started on the computer seven years ago. I remember the Vibrolux Reverb.....Was it the replacement for the Vibroverb?
    Hmm, replacement? Nope (see a few paragraphs down for why)

A little quick history, for those who never asked... The new for 1963 Vibroverb was the first Fender amp with reverb. There were not many made, it was a single year run. In 64 they released the Blackface amps and most of the amps got reverb. The goal was to get more cleans out of the amps, so they scooped a lot of the mids character out of the amps. They changed the vibrato/tremolo circuits on all of the amps. They went from 'harmonic vibrato' and 'bias vary vibrato' to a little optical bug that flashed. And, they swapped around some of the speaker compliments.

In 1963 the Vibroverb was a 2x10" speaker configuration. In 1964 it got a single 15" speaker. The 2x10" speaker amplifier was the Vibrolux Reverb. Although the piggy back version was the Tremolux, which has no reverb... but was sold most commonly with a 2x10" external speaker cabinet...

The Vibrolux was first available (that I know of) in 1956. During the tweed period it was a single 10". When the Brownface amps were released in 1961, it got a single 12" speaker. Then, of course in 1964, it got the 2x10" configuration that made it famous.

I am a sucker for different... So, Brownface amps appeal to me in an aesthetic way. But I like a lot of Jump/West Coast Blues stuff... so that tone is the real hook for me. Some day I'll own a few real vintage ones. I looked at a Princeton a couple of years ago, I just didn't really have the cash to pull the trigger. Who knows, maybe this'll be the year?

Sorry for the novel! But, I love these stupid amps so much... and I tend to be wordy once I get started!
    John F.

Please, check out the Fredericksburg Blues Society

AT Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hu Duck Xing View Post
    Turn the Depth down to about 3 or 4, and turn the Speed all the way down. Incredible sound!
    Funny, I love it at almost every setting I've tried! But, I do tend to go slow with the speed, almost to emphasize the effect.
    John F.

I am a sucker for any Fender tubed amp.
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

reading this thread makes me want a brown fender amp really bad , and I havent even tried one yet!

Marshall

Mine sounds like a little Marshall !

JJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aurora 071.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	2316  
    Tele's & Tweeds.Yes sir.

AT Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammin'John View Post
    Mine sounds like a little Marshall !

JJ
    I have heard that the brown Deluxes and Princetons are some of the 'Marshalliest' Fenders around. I have no direct experience with any... Other than the early ZZ Top recordings. Which is the best tone the Rev ever had.

I have also heard that the Ampeg J-20 was a direct lift of the brown Deluxe circuit. I've been searching for one at the right price for years!
    John F.

I got mine in '83 for $150.
    It was the first amp that I plugged into where I didn't have to look for great tone.
    The overdrive was the best I had ever heard.
    I blew the OxFart speaker in short order.
    MANY speakers have been in it and now it has a Weber Silver Bell ceramic.
    It's my desert island amp.

JJ
    Tele's & Tweeds.Yes sir.