Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: New Amp Day

  1. #11
    Axetastic etechstan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Cuyahoga Falls, Oh.
    Posts
    3,617
    Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    congratulations- wow you are on fire with purchases lately!
    Actually I'm thinning the herd. Dropped off two ss practice amps, Behringer Ultrabass 1800, Traynor 2x15 cab, Peavey Fury V, Peavey Bandit and a Behringer Autowah for consignment at the Guitar Dept. The Traynor sold the first day.
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

  2. #12
    Axellent Member Jammin'John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tug Hill Plateau
    Posts
    430
    Yea,Traynor. Made in canada.

    JJ
    Tele's & Tweeds.Yes sir.

  3. #13
    Axe-honerated zontar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a people house
    Posts
    26,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammin'John View Post
    Yea,Traynor. Made in canada.

    JJ
    Not all their stuff is, although they are based in Canada.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

  4. #14
    Axellent Member Jammin'John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tug Hill Plateau
    Posts
    430
    They're doing the china thing too ? Bummer
    They are worth buying used.

    JJ
    Tele's & Tweeds.Yes sir.

  5. #15
    Axe-honerated zontar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a people house
    Posts
    26,155
    Some of the cheaper ones are built in Asia--but they're still good amps.
    I have a bass practice amp of theirs--it does the job for playing at home and for a monitor when jamming with others, as long as nobody has a huge stack or is a crazy drummer.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

  6. #16
    Axetastic etechstan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Cuyahoga Falls, Oh.
    Posts
    3,617
    Plugged it into one of my Peavey 1x15 cabinets. It disengages the 8" internal when you plug in to an external cab. I cannot believe the wall of sound that came out of this thing!
    Not enough to jam with a drummer but man does it sound good.
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

  7. #17
    Axetastic doublewah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Age
    58
    Posts
    4,241
    Quote Originally Posted by etechstan View Post
    Plugged it into one of my Peavey 1x15 cabinets. It disengages the 8" internal when you plug in to an external cab. I cannot believe the wall of sound that came out of this thing!
    Not enough to jam with a drummer but man does it sound good.
    Okay, now I'm curious. If you pull the plug out a bit, can you get it to work with both the external AND internal speaker?
    I know this amp is only 5w and may not be used in a gigging situation, but a bigger Blackstar would be.
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

  8. #18
    Axe-honerated spellcaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Duncan, British Columbia, Canada
    Age
    67
    Posts
    12,148
    Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    ..........If you pull the plug out a bit, can you get it to work with both the external AND internal speaker?..........
    I'm going to guess that this probably isn't a good idea. First, because the internal speaker probably shuts off because the external speaker jack is a shorting jack and pulling it half-way out might create a short across the output of the amp. Even if that's not the case, running the internal speaker and an external speaker simultaneously would put them in parallel and create an impedance mismatch that the amp might not tolerate.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

  9. #19
    Axetastic doublewah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Age
    58
    Posts
    4,241
    Quote Originally Posted by spellcaster View Post
    I'm going to guess that this probably isn't a good idea. First, because the internal speaker probably shuts off because the external speaker jack is a shorting jack and pulling it half-way out might create a short across the output of the amp. Even if that's not the case, running the internal speaker and an external speaker simultaneously would put them in parallel and create an impedance mismatch that the amp might not tolerate.
    Good point, Spell. As for the short, it depends on how that jack/switch is wired, I suppose.
    As for impedance, within reasonable tolerances, different impedances should just affect the power performance of the amp, no?
    I have done this with no ill effects. I just like to have the big speaker behind me, and the little speaker in front as a monitor.

    Having said all that, Stan, please ignore my request. I would hate to be the one responsible for you blowing up your lovely new amp!
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

  10. #20
    Axetastic etechstan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Cuyahoga Falls, Oh.
    Posts
    3,617
    I wouldn't need the internal 8" and external 15" at the same time.
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •