Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOAD - New Old Amp Day

NOAD - New Old Amp Day

As evidenced in another thread I went to GC earlier in hopes of buying a Valvetrain Concord that they had on sale for $449.00. I only had $430.00 but I figured that they might give me a small discount, but no. The manager did say he would call me next week to see if we could work something out.

I left and decided to go to Sam Ash to see what they had for sale. I saw an old Silvertone for $249.00 so I asked the salesperson for some cables to see if I could play it. It took a couple of minutes for any sound to come out of that amp and when it did I wasn't impressed so I moved over and tried an Ibanez 15 watt head & combo with the built in tube screamer. This one impressed me but it was out of my budget.

As I was about to leave I saw a used Fender SCXD with a tag for $139.00 so I plugged in and really liked it but while playing the salesperson brought over another customer that was interested in case I bailed but for $139.00 I bought it thinking I could always turn it over and buy the Valvetrain anyway. But now I don't know, I think I like this little sucker.

BTW, here are some pics as proof.

A size comparison with my VHT Spec. 6 Ultra.

congratulations!

Isn't that what ATMike plays through?

I've played through those--you can get some cool sounds through them.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

That's very true, some of the sounds are truly great sounding but the only thing that has me worried is that it's fixed bias. This should be no problem if the power tubes hold out but by the age of this one it has me a little worried.

you could always tell the store that the you are concerned about the life of the power tubes and have them replace them. You might pay for the tubes but since you just bought it, they might bias for you for free- then you put the old tubes in the spares box

I just returned from Sam Ash and the salesman told me that they send amps out for re-biasing. I guess they don't trust their Luthier. I did purchase a one year warranty though.

I guess I could re-bias the power tubes if I had to. I read about it in ST.

Quote Originally Posted by edandis View Post
    I just returned from Sam Ash and the salesman told me that they send amps out for re-biasing. I guess they don't trust their Luthier. I did purchase a one year warranty though.

I guess I could re-bias the power tubes if I had to. I read about it in ST.
    if you have the warranty just make them do it! In fact, that warranty should cover the tubes too, no?

Printed on the receipt it says 1 year used repair under 200. I guess this means they'll only cover repairs as long as it doesn't exceed $200.00. It makes sense as I only paid $139.00.

BTW I googled how to bias the SCXD. It's not too hard so I'll do it myself. They say most problems with the SCXD reside in the 12AX7 and that doesn't have to be biased, it makes my job so much easier. I'll wait until next year and replace the power tubes and get an Eminence Ragin' Cajun speaker which Bill M recommends highly.

I'd advise waiting 11 months and then have GC replace the power tubes,,,,

I'd be really surprised if an amp warranty covers tubes. Maybe on a brand new amp, if a tube red-plates and fails in the first weeks of ownership, but unlikely on a used amp......particularly if it hasn't failed completely but is just sounding tired.

I guess it's because somebody I know owns one now, but I've taken note of a few comments I've seen online about them. They seem to get some favorable press.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."