Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Game Changer? or Gimmick?

This is a zombie thread, but I think it's still of interest to people. Has anybody heard any updates on whether this product is actually in production, or whether it was one of those flash-in-the-pan show demonstrations of "Look what we can do"?

Whether the device will be sonically as good as tubes is still a crapshoot till you try it, I can see a place for it in the market.....I'm going through a process of trying nail down a problem in my Twin, and it's proving to be frustrating. Being as how a blackface Fender uses mostly 12AX7 preamp tubes (and could run all 12AX7's in a pinch), having a solid-state device to sub in place of a tube would really help. I'm discouraged right now finding that NOS tubes I purchased years ago (bought on eBay, tested on receipt, and then reboxed for future use) are no good now. If I had solid state devices that didn't deteriorate, they'd be a great reference point for diagnosis, and a great gig backup for tube failures.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

"I'm discouraged right now finding that NOS tubes I purchased years ago (bought on eBay, tested on receipt, and then reboxed for future use) are no good now. If I had solid state devices that didn't deteriorate, they'd be a great reference point for diagnosis, and a great gig backup for tube failures."

Tubes don't deteriorate. Infinite shelf life. Solid state devices do deteriorate with age,temperature,vibration,humidity,lack of humidity.
    If you get an unused good tube from the forties or fifties or sixties it is good as new.
    You must not have properly tested your tubes upon receipt and as you say you never used them.
    If you had used them when you purchased them you would have found out that they were junk.
    You got ripped off by the ebay seller and they got away with it because you didn't run them hard and find their flaws.
    When I get tubes I run them hard and if they hold up I label them and save them. Live and learn. Sorry you're out the $$$ but it's NOT the tubes fault.

JJ
    Tele's & Tweeds.Yes sir.