Thread: New EL 84's

New EL 84's

I am going to buy a small stock of some EL 84 quads for the Maz (and the Peavey if I keep it).

Any particular preferences out there on durability and reliability?

I'm not real crazy about JJ's- I haven't had the best experience with them. Last quad I had from them had at least one defective one out of the box- maybe damaged in transit (we'll never know) but not a good experience to plug a new tube in and the thing is hosed out of the gate.

If they are available, I'll recommend vintage OEM glass over modern tubes every time. I hear no end of complaints about all the Chinese and Soviet tubes, and they would be my last resort. Spending a little more dough gets you a lot more quality.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

I'm inclined to agree but I am not sure if truly new EL84's are that easy to find. People pass used tubes off all the time as "NOS" and unless you have the right equipment to actually test, you could be buying something with only 50% life left in it. Not happy about the defective JJ's. Sure I will get a replacement set sent to me but who has the time for this junk. just give me a good product the first time.

I can certainly understand your apprehension about used tubes. I've bought lots on eBay, and they're a crap-shoot, depending on the tube testing unit, the person conducting the testing, and the packaging for shipping. After my last couple of NOS RCA 12AT7's (which were both toast) from eBay, I won't go that route again.

But, I'd recommend one of the reputable tube shops such as The Tube Store.Com. I've dealt with these guys and found them to be honest, reliable, and fair with their customers

www.thetubestore.com - Your online source for audio vacuum tubes.

I was on their site today- I wonder what crazy kind of shipping and duty I would have to pay if it was shipped from Canada

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I was on their site today- I wonder what crazy kind of shipping and duty I would have to pay if it was shipped from Canada
    Is this a Canadian company?
    I bought a relic'd guitar because I liked the way it sounded. Then I refinished it because I didn't like the way it looked.

Quote Originally Posted by doublewah View Post
    Is this a Canadian company?
    I didn't realize, even though I've bought from them, that they are Canadian. It looks like the Fed Ex shipping to the US isn't too bad, but it would be prudent to find out whether they charge the delivery customer an additional "Brokerage charge" which is where Canadians generally get boned when they get a couriered parcel from the States.

Yeah I will call them and see about all this