Thread: Epiphone Valve Jr.

Epiphone Valve Jr.

Years ago I bought an Epiphone Valve Jr. based on all the hype of this tiny 5 watt wonder. Equipped with just a volume knob I found it a one trick pony and unloaded it fairly quickly. Then I read about all the modding going on with them and regretted selling it. Back in November last year I saw one up on Reverb and made a low ball bid and surprisingly got the amp. I put the Bitmo Trio mod in it, Bitmo website states, "This package combines my 2 most popular mods- The Duo Tone/Fat Boost Control and the 3 way Voicing/Gain Switch Provides a total of 6 unique voicings and gain settings". So, you're adding a tone pot that also acts as a gain switch by pulling out and a three-way toggle that cleans or muddies things up. With the gain at full bore, this thing screams like a mini marshall and the clean just sparkle, its the perfect practice amp. Had fun doing the mods and now I just found out the make a kit for the Fender Excelsior.
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

So, should we be expecting an Excelsior NAD? Do you need an enabler? You came to right place!
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

No, it's just something that's going to sit in the back of my mind during the honeymoon with the Panama.
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by etechstan View Post
    No, it's just something that's going to sit in the back of my mind during the honeymoon with the Panama.
    Okay, as long as you don't think about the Excelsior when your actually playing the Epi Jr, lol.

(You are allowed to do that after the honeymoon's over)
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."

Cool--glad it worked out--enjoy!
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

You don't hear that much about the Excelsior now- when they first came out the hype was everywhere. Maybe they don't hold up?

Maybe not--I tried one--along with the other three amps in that series.
    They certainly looked cool.
    But it wasn't quite what I was looking for.
    The Greta was a little radio looking thing--and was cool--but it wasn't quite what I was looking for either--although I heard of one guy that used it to drive a bigger cab...
    The Vaporizer was a reverb monster--and a cool idea--but the ones I tried were noisy--although the idea of turning down the volume & cranking the reverb & still hearing it through the reverb was a cool idea.
    The Ramparte was probably the one I liked the best--played an old Rickenbacker lap steel through one (Probably not that well)--especially through the hot channel.
    But when I saw one I was out of town and short on cash for amps.
    So not good way to get it.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.