Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What to look out for when buying used tube amp

AT Member
    Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Ultimately the choice is yours but clearly the hiss was enough of an annoyance to make the current owner to have looked into and spend money on attempting to address, albeit unsuccessfully.

The amp might be fine, however- I guess if you don't mind the 160KM drive go and check it out.
    I was thinking the same...when I read that he had someone look a it, red flags went up...he's asking $500 for it...if I could get it for a couple hundred bucks it would probably be worth the gamble...could be a good practice amp....it's actually 100km away...I put miles for some reason... Lol...still a long way to drive for an amp that may not be what.

Sent from my B1-770 using Tapatalk

So you're remote then
    But still most likely better options out there

Or make a weekend out of it
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by lenleym View Post
    GC?

GC=Guitar Center
    Being in Canada you would have other options that wouldn't involve brokerage fees, exchange rates& possibly duty if the amp was not made in the U.S. or Mexico
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Oops I missed the GC question. Yes whatever Canadian chain stores you have, all will deal in used.

I personally wouldn't bother pay C$500 for an amp that I'd have to drive that distance for unless it was very unique and a great deal. I don't think this amp is either.

AT Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    So you're remote then
    But still most likely better options out there

Or make a weekend out of it
    There's a music store in the town that I reside in..Long & McQuade....and the next nearest store is a half an hour drive away and is a personally owned shop.

That being said, I'm still in a rural area, and there isn't many options when it comes to used tube amps. There are a few for sale locally but they want almost what they sell for new in store. I've been shopping for a couple of weeks now and all of the decent priced amps are an hour's drive away...or further...hopefully one will pop up in my area, but the odds of it being what I am looking for, and a decent price, will be low..but not impossible...just have to be patient I guess.

When I say decent priced...I'm referring to about 50-60% retail...and I'm comparing it to Long & McQuade prices

AT Member
    Oops I missed the GC question. Yes whatever Canadian chain stores you have, all will deal in used.

I personally wouldn't bother pay C$500 for an amp that I'd have to drive that distance for unless it was very unique and a great deal. I don't think this amp is either.
    Thanks for your input...I think I was already thinking the same...just needed to hear someone else say it...I can be impatient and impulsive....end up ignoring g my instincts sometimes

For $500-$600 you can almost certainly get a new 20 watt tube amp if you can time a sale right.

Given your location it is inconvenient to have to drive to stores to rectify problems so unless you are getting a significant deal I'd go new in this price point.

Just re-read your post that there is a L&M in your town. Could you ask them to either transfer in a used amp or order a new one that you could test prior to buying?

If you could get one of these on sale, that's all you need...

https://www.long-mcquade.com/3147/Gu..._Combo_Amp.htm

Just re-read your post that there is a L&M in your town. Could you ask them to either transfer in a used amp or order a new one that you could test prior to buying?
    L&M has offered to do something similar for me
    But only looking for a couple of weeks is short
    People have looked for months for the right thing
    My inclination would be to wait & keep looking

Also it rarely works to buy for the sake of it when it comes to gear