Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: One day with tubes

AT Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Petawatt12 View Post
    Love the glow!
    And the smell too

They taste pretty good too. Kinda like smores.
    Pete Farm Amplification

Hand Crafted Solutions for Musicians
    http://www.petawatt12.com/

When 11 is just not enough!

In general, I'm a tube amp guy. But I loves me my Super Champ XD to death, and part of its signal path is ss, though it does have both pre-amp and power tubes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post
    In general, I'm a tube amp guy. But I loves me my Super Champ XD to death, and part of its signal path is ss, though it does have both pre-amp and power tubes as well.
    Oh yeah. Been lovin my XD for over 3 years now. Wouldn't give it up. But if I had to I would get me a Deluxe Reverb. I used SS all through the 80's and some 90's for gigging and teaching cuz they were cheap, light, and durable. I couldn't imagine having a tuber then, playing some of the places I played and the things we had to do to get there. Arrgh. You know what I'm talkin about Brian: stages the size of a pool table, green room that smells like ass or no green room at all etc etc. lol
    Great times.
    Member: TDPRI, Strat-Talk, Squier-Talk, Gibson-Talk
    http://www.myspace.com/proazza

Quote Originally Posted by randoo11 View Post
    Oh yeah. Been lovin my XD for over 3 years now. Wouldn't give it up. But if I had to I would get me a Deluxe Reverb. I used SS all through the 80's and some 90's for gigging and teaching cuz they were cheap, light, and durable. I couldn't imagine having a tuber then, playing some of the places I played and the things we had to do to get there. Arrgh. You know what I'm talkin about Brian: stages the size of a pool table, green room that smells like ass or no green room at all etc etc. lol
    Great times.
    Haha, yeah I know those places. Heck I'm not sure there's a single venue in town I play on a regular basis that has a green room or backstage. In fact, one of the places I do play somewhat regularly is called the Backstage Lounge-- and there's no backstage! The back wall of the stage is the exterior wall of the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Hu Duck Xing View Post
    dB'
    I used to have a Lab amp. SS, but it sounded like tubes. Used it for pedal steel and Tele. I was so bummed when I traded it in on a Peavey Vegas. The Labs use a totally different scheme with their transistor amps. Too bad they're no longer around. The only SS amp I'd love to still own.
    I play through tube amps when I play out, but at home for practice I save the tubes and use a Roland Cube 30-nice clean tones and I use the Vox amp sim a lot.

I still have a Lab Series L5 that has a overheating problem-it's well engineered with a thermal shutdown circuit. They have such a Fat sound and the on board compressor is great feature as well. I really need to open it up and solve the problem, maybe it's something as simple as loose heat sinks on the output transistors!
    I wrote Gibson/Norlin and Moog sent me very detailed schematics and all the Lab Series brochures-cool stuff.

B.B. King played an L5 when he played here in town a few years back also-but Joe Bonamassa-the opening act-had a rig with 4 tube heads, so there was a lot of diversity amp-wise and it was a killer show!
    Joe absolutely tore it up--but B.B. had the crowd in his hand all evening!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by anfontan; 02-07-2011 at 11:13 PM.

What speaker is in your L5? I can't remember what was in mine, but what a great-sounding SS amp!
    Ya can't pick up a turd by the clean end

There are a pair of 12" speakers that are most likely Emminence-they have that look anyway.

Another hybrid amp is my MusicMan 65 2x12-solid state preamp and a pair of 6L6's for a power amp-it has a 1/2 power switch across the transformer to drop it's output to about 30 watts. It's a great amp for clubs and the power amp tube distortion is solid and sweet.........

Welcome to the warm & fuzzy side of the room.

Tweed

Tweeds with nice tubes in 'em get me right !

JJ