Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: One day with tubes

I have little doubt that our precious tubes will one day go the way of the horse-drawn carriage, and that we will have to cooperate with the inevitable. That's just the way things go. That doesn't prevent us from enjoying what we've got while we've got it.
    I crawl like a viper through these suburban streets.

I'm not writing off the SS tube idea- I just mean it seems like a lot of circuitry to simulate a very simple thing. I built up a very respectable cache of old tubes over the past few years, ensuring I have at least 2 retubes for every amp I have. I doubt I will run into a situation where I won't be able to find good 6L6, 6SL7 or 12AX tubes. Besides all these have been reissued
    Last edited by die Bullen; 01-01-2013 at 10:18 AM.

I do have a Peavey Bandit as a back up for my HotRod DeVille. Its Transtube, that makes it almost as good as tubes
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    I doubt I will run into a situation where I won't be able to find good 6L6, 6SL7 or 12AX tubes. Besides all these have been reissued
    I am talking of a time, maybe a generation from now, when tube-craving guitar players will be in such small numbers that there will not be enough demand for a factory to manufacture them. Maybe by then, these SS tube-subs will be somewhat of a replacement so that tube amps can still be used for many years, and maybe they will not sound as good as tubes. But we will all be gone, so who would know?

Does anyone here remember know about Atari ST computers and Notator sequencing software? In their heyday they were used in studios all over the world. There are still a few of us Atari/Notator diehards around the world. I still have a couple of Ataris here, as well as Notator copy-protection "dongles". When all the Atari STs and the Notator dongles are gone, there will be no more.

Ah okay you mean years from now, DW. The Chinese and Russian tubes are really easy to get right now and very few factories have the market totally cornered. We can only hope they don't all go the wayside.

I agree Db, I can't certainly see a shortage in mfg. unless something catastrophic happens but just in case I'll continue to buy tube bargains whenever possible.

I think DW's right. Tubes will still be around, but even today a lot of people are hard at work writing code for plug-and-play devices which will mimic tubes in amp circuits, and which will essentially allow you to alter the tone characteristics of your tube amp from a pedalboard or control surface. This has been under development for some time now. Might be a few years yet before any of US can afford them, but they're coming...maybe even this year.

Worst case scenario will be the quality of and country of manufacture once guitar players are the sole market for these relics. Maybe I should start hoarding them.
    I don't play guitar because I'm good at it, I play because it's fun!!

Tubes have been making quite a comeback in high end audio recently- there is definitely a market outside guitar amps- although high end stereos are probably a smaller market

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Tubes have been making quite a comeback in high end audio recently- there is definitely a market outside guitar amps- although high end stereos are probably a smaller market
    The place I've been buying my NOS tubes from lately, Vacuum Tubes.Net, seems to classify tubes commonly used in guitar amps in a separate section with their HiFi audio tubes. I'm guessing there must be a lot of the same things used. When I look on eBay, matched sets of Mullard 4024's (interchangeable with the 12A__ tubes) sell for fairly big money.....and I can only assume the fact that they're matched is important for audio systems - it wouldn't matter in most guitar applications, I don't think.
    "I know just enough to be dangerous....."