Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just trying to find out about the low end tube amps

Caveat there though- sometimes amps with just a single tone control sound better than those with all kinds of equalization! My '60 Jet and my '63 Reverberocket both only have one tone control- I prefer it!

Axellent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Caveat there though- sometimes amps with just a single tone control sound better than those with all kinds of equalization! My '60 Jet and my '63 Reverberocket both only have one tone control- I prefer it!
    oh yeah i'm not trying to diss simple tone set ups. i used an early 60s Fender Concert 4x10 for years back when i was doing the band thing. volume bass treble. i also have played thru some nice fender Champs that only have a tone control. many of todays tones requier a more flexible tone setup though. it's really tough to try to dial in several different tones if you are in a cover band as well (unless you play 50s-early 60s stuff).

haven't been able to guage what type of players we have here. i post at UG and it's mainly young guys into metal. somewhere like The Gear Page is more likely to go for your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    Not to plug the old Ampegs (who me?)
    LOL! Not you, surely...

Wait, somebody here is pro-Ampeg?

Quote Originally Posted by etechstan View Post
    Wait, somebody here is pro-Ampeg?
    Surely not me!!!

MwB (have to abbreviate it!) Definitely many different genres represented here, I generally don't get a sense that the majority of guys here are metal players though. I personally mainly play jazz with archtops, I ain't shredding for sure!

Used Blues Jnr

If You look on Ebay there are some Fender Champs from the 60's and 70's that go from 250 to 500 clams,
    Here's a '69 point - to point Champ with a weber spkr that sold for 399.00

and another

You'd have a hard time getting a better - sounding and more reliable tube amp for around that price, imho

also old gibson skylarks sound fantastic, as well...
    Not quite as flexible or as tough as a 60s-70's champ, but tasty, though.
    (the 50's ones, not the mid 60's ones, though.)
    - Stick with the 12ax7 -6v6 - 5y3 ones, IMHO

to vary the amount of clean or distortion, simply swap the ax7 with a lower powered variant a'la au7 ay7, etc

also,
    there are alot of tube project chassis/heads pretty cheap - with the champ layout,
    12ax7 pre 6v6 power, and 5y3 rectifier.

and old, even used tubes from a reputable source like brent jesse or such, FTW (IMHO)

then
    -get an old 40's ampro movie projector cabinet/speaker for some serious tone.
    This is the Model and roughly the year, albeit grossly overpiced... but just the cab, they pop up from time to time, look closely at the 16ohm speaker with the 1/4 inch jack already on it !
    this was once a little-known tone secret :P

IMHO, this will sound waaaay better than buying a newer style amp,

but that's just My hard-learned 2 cents.

I'd personally steer clear from circuit board tubery, if You intend to play out...
    Last edited by Forecaster; 04-17-2013 at 04:48 PM.

I have not yet found any vintage combo's at a reasonable price in my neck of the woods. I usually will frequent our monthly musician's swap shop but I think most of the merchants there price them according to what the asking price dictates, not by how they sound. If I ever came across a 1482 Silvertone I would be very interested in what the asking price was.

This month they had a Valvetrain head for $500.00, sounded sweet.