Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just trying to find out about the low end tube amps

AT Member

Just trying to find out about the low end tube amps

I'm still trying to figure out which tube amp to buy. I've raised my budget a little, although I'm trying stay under $300. Has anyone tried the new Jet City amps by Mike Soldano? What about the little Vox night train or the Fender Vibro Champ? I already have a modeling amp, though.

I'm also looking at the VHT class 6, Vox AT4V, the Fender Champion 600, and possibly the Epiphone Valve Jr. I have plenty of effects, so I'm really looking for something with a warm, transparent sound.

Are you only interested in new amps? At $300 you could get a pretty good used amp. Let me ask you this- what wattage are you looking for? Is this a home studio amp or will you be jamming and maybe playing a small venue?

AT Member
    I'm open to either new or used. It will be mainly be for me at home, although if it's loud enough, I wouldn't mind occasionally taking it out.

Check the Peavey Classic 30- I have one and it has the advantage of being reasonably priced, sounds nice and is portable with 30 watts of power. Really enough for what most guys will ever need.

Not to plug the old Ampegs (who me?) but if you can find one I think you'd love an old mercury or jet. They reissued the jet a few years back- I have not heard much about them but if they are close in sound to the originals they are definitely in your price range used

What kinda guitar?
    Ya can't pick up a turd by the clean end

AT Member
    I have three... a MIM Strat with Gilmour loaded pickguard, a Mahogany Ibanez S Series with HSH, and a tele copy. I'm running them through a Zoom unit with the two tubes. I just want an amp that's pretty transparent. the zoom unit has so much amp modeling and processing that I think I just want something that can reflect whatever I'm giving it. I may end up going pre amp/power amp and cabinet someday.

Read op's other thread. Thought my post here irrelevant.
    Last edited by randoo11; 02-02-2011 at 08:46 AM.
    Member: TDPRI, Strat-Talk, Squier-Talk, Gibson-Talk
    http://www.myspace.com/proazza

I have a Delta Blues, with a 15" speaker. But I did upgrade it with much better, and bigger transformers. It sounds great with my Teles. I like big speakers for Teles. But I've also used it in the studio for pedal steel guitar, so it is nice and 'transparent," as long as you're not pushin' it too hard. And never, never ever, push that "Overdrive" button. It's sick. But the transformers made a huge difference. Big Hammond PT, and a Dr Z OT.
    Ya can't pick up a turd by the clean end

Stay away from the Valve Jr. It's just a one trick pony. It's clean at low volume and dirty at high volume and nothing else. I put together a 5 pedal effect board in front of it and still couldn't find anything satisfying. Wait and find something nice on CL or used at GC.

Axellent Member
    the Jet City amps are nice for what they are. biggest problem with the low watt models is that they are single channel with very limited tone controls. this is a fairly common problem with many of low the end tube amps. slap a couple of pedals in front and you are usually good to go for practice. in live situations many are next to useless unless miced and even then it can be debateable (this applies to under 10 watt models. as long as you don't mind them being fairly limited in ability most are fun (the valve jr does suck totally though).