Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite small tube practice amp

A Fender G-Dec Jr for guitar & a Traynor TBM-10 for bass--both easy to carry around the house, so I can practice anywhere & also with headphone jacks.

The G-Dec has backing tracks and different sounds--so lots of fun that way too.

Yeah--not tube amps, but that's what I use.
    Last edited by zontar; 08-10-2010 at 01:49 AM.
    I've been a pilgrim on this earth, since the day of my birth, I'm a long way from my home.

Quote Originally Posted by workknot View Post
    The Fender Super Champ XD should not be overlooked. I have had one for a few months now and really like it. Big enough for small gigs, small enough for practice and home use.
    +1

IMO, any amp with a single 10" speaker fits this thread (small amp). Some of us have compared the Vibro version of this amp w/ the SCXD. The differences were significant for me during an A/B comparison. Super Champ XD has a larger speaker, 15 watts (5 for the Vibro), and channel switching.

This amounts to more volume if cranked at home, or getting together somewhere else-at a jam!

I love my Fender SCXD, but I use that for gigging....here is my favorite amp for home practicing.
    ADK

you know I'd say this one but my wife actually came running when I put it at power setting one with the sensitivity switch all the way up. Even with the sensitivity switch all the way down and volume at 1 I still got gaff for it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v4small.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	418

It's not down in the 5-watt class, but at home I use my Blues Junior.

AT Member
    I find my Blues Jr. a bit too loud at home. Pulled the trigger on the 8" Vox AC4TV that J&R has on sale. Am debating a Vibro versus a Super Champ....

will chime back in after I've played with the Vox a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Telebird View Post
    I find my Blues Jr. a bit too loud at home. Pulled the trigger on the 8" Vox AC4TV that J&R has on sale. Am debating a Vibro versus a Super Champ....

will chime back in after I've played with the Vox a bit...
    I've been thinking about getting that Vox as well. Will look forward to hearing your feedback on it.

I'd like to hear about that vox too. I had been playing at home with a marshall valvestate and initially thought it sounded okay but as time goes by I find myself liking it less and less. Almost time to dump it and get a valve practice amp.

AT Member
    first impressions of the AC4TV8

it came yesterday, plugged it in and gave it a quick try...

my Tele just sparkled on the clean tones, the breakup was nice, over driven..not sure there...need to find enough without it being too much...but plenty of volume for a bedroom amp and on the 1 watt or 1/10 watt settings, not too loud at all

with the Firebird it sounded very good, not quite as Vox chimey as the Tele but had a surprisingly good low end for an 8" speaker....

recovering from a migraine today so am laying low...

more when my head will let me

so far, I'd say it's a keeper and it was a screaming deal !

AT Member
    The more I play through this little amp, the more I like it. It's a keeper. I tried my Twin Tube Classic pedal with it and found that it never sounded better. I can control the really over driven sound much better with the pedal. The clean sound is great, the Tele sounds great. I A/B'd a bit with my Blues Junior yesterday. I'm quite happy with this as my main amp (for now). I took the Jr. in and put it on consignment, it's a nice amp but more amp that I need.

I saw the thread about J&R blowing these out at $119 (or less), thought for the price, a nice little bargain, what the heck...but this amp is very good. I'm glad I ordered one.