Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite small tube practice amp

This vox does sound nice!

Is there only a tone control and no separate bass/mid/treble? I've never had an amp like that- no problems there? Just curious.

AT Member
    amazingly good sound/tone IMO..

this amp has volume, tone and the attenuator (4, 1 0r 1/10 watt)

I guess you could use an EQ pedal if you needed more tone control. This is an amazing little amp for the price. I haven't been happy with most of my recent purchases. This is a nice brak in that pattern. It has suprisingly good bottom end for a little speaker. You can run it through other cabinets if you'd like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1190.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	567  

I like those chickenhead knobs!

I'm way in the minority liking heavy bass out of a tele- (who'd 'a thunk?) I'll have to test this guy out. Gotta admit thought that I am moth and the flame with my v4

Quote Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
    From GC I bought and returned a Roland Microcube, a Champ 600, a Bugera V5, and a Roland Cube 30 before settling on a Super Champ XD. I will not put down any of those other amps but I will say that once I had played the SCXD for a couple of days and replaced the speaker I could find no reason to keep shopping.
    Yeah! What he said. I love my XD.
    Member: TDPRI, Strat-Talk, Squier-Talk, Gibson-Talk
    http://www.myspace.com/proazza

The Oahu for bottleneck and lapsteel, and the PR, 20 watter, for cleaner practice. Although at 20 watts, the PR went to a lot of gigs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM001568.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM001573.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	615

Neophyte
    I had an Epi V Jr modded for me, changed the power tube to a 6v6 instead of the EL84, added a gain pot, and tone as well as low and high input jacks and the main thing is a bigger out put transformer. This amp is so different now, very clean and bright but with out hte flabby bottom end. it has tons of clean head room and souns good down low or cranked. The gain gives some crunch but not real heavy. With my TS808 and Holy Grail reverb in front it is a very cool rig. The guy who did the work basically hand wired the mods and completely ditched the PCB. Not quite sure how to post a pic or I would thow one up here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of EPI V jr.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	645  

this definitely classifies as a small amp in my book and is my current favourite... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rr_1.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	693

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    this definitely classifies as a small amp in my book and is my current favourite... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rr_1.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	693
    looks amazing.. now I wonder how much these amps go for... are they cheap there? if they are really cheap, and one great sounding amp, paying for shipping and taxes for one could be worth it... I just want something that has like 15 - 50watts, with very good reverb and superb cleans..

The Reverberocket isn't that cheap because they are fairly rare- at 18 watts it is nice for practice but wouldn't really get super loud.

If you want a loud vintage ampeg you have the mid- 1960's Gemini II or VI- 30 watts, great reverb and vintage tone. These amps are largely forgotten and the value is pretty low- $300-$500 depending on condition. Looks kind of like the Reverberocket with the blue diamond tolex.

If you want LOUD with tons of headroom you move into the late-60's ampegs with the SVT- like the Gemini 50 watt 212. Totally different amps. Really they are like a mini combo version of the v-4. Look at this one- left for dead- they'd take $225 for it- I know because I called.

GuitarCenter

Quote Originally Posted by die Bullen View Post
    The Reverberocket isn't that cheap because they are fairly rare- at 18 watts it is nice for practice but wouldn't really get super loud.

If you want a loud vintage ampeg you have the mid- 1960's Gemini II or VI- 30 watts, great reverb and vintage tone. These amps are largely forgotten and the value is pretty low- $300-$500 depending on condition. Looks kind of like the Reverberocket with the blue diamond tolex.

If you want LOUD with tons of headroom you move into the late-60's ampegs with the SVT- like the Gemini 50 watt 212. Totally different amps. Really they are like a mini combo version of the v-4. Look at this one- left for dead- they'd take $225 for it- I know because I called.

GuitarCenter
    dang, that's still expensive.. the final amount when it gets here will be around, $499... hmmm... I thought they were forgotten amps? hmm... vintage pieces are still expensive...