Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite small tube practice amp

Favourite small tube practice amp

I'm currently using a Marshall Class 5 which makes a fantastic racket but is very loud for 5 watts. I use the "headphones out" trick into another cab to keep the volumes reasonable. Just wondered what others were using?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marshall Class 5.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	66  

Of the 2 I've owned, I like the Epi VJ head (current version). I had the Vox AC4TV but just wasn't into the closed back sound. I put a '59 RCA 12" speaker in the Epi VJ cab and better tubes. Love it.

Heard good things about the Marshall.

I have a few small valve amps

Marshall Class 5
    Blackstar HT-5
    Epi Valve Jnr
    Vox ACTV

The most flexible, for me, for using at home is the Blackstar because of the master Volume. The Class 5 and Epi are a bit to loud. The Vox is good in that it goes down to a quarter of a watt (10" speaker version).

I have taken each of them to jams or small gigs. The Epi is the least versatile, having just the volume control. The most versatile is the HT-5 with the Class 5 and Vox somewhere in between.

All are excellent amps for the money though

Banned
    i'm about to pull the trigger on a tube practice amp, so i love to read opinions from owners.

If anyone is in the market for a Vox AC4TV8, J&R has them for $119.00 right now with free shipping.

Vox AC4TV8

The Fender Super Champ XD should not be overlooked. I have had one for a few months now and really like it. Big enough for small gigs, small enough for practice and home use.

AT Member
    Quote Originally Posted by workknot View Post
    The Fender Super Champ XD should not be overlooked. I have had one for a few months now and really like it. Big enough for small gigs, small enough for practice and home use.
    I love my SuperChamp XD. I wouldn't mind a Vibrochamp as well... A bit less power, though I'd probably want to convert it to a 10" speaker. I've raved ad nauseum about the SCXD. It's a great little performer for practice.

If I'm practicing bottleneck, I use my old Oahu, Chicago 51. If I need cleaner, I use my hot-rodded SF Princeton Reverb. It can actually work on a lot of gigs if the band is not too loud. 20 watts, BIG PT, DrZ OT, 12" Celestion, tilt-backs.

I have a Vibro Champ XD, and find it VERY versatile. I generally just plug straight in for practice. "Look Ma, No Pedals!!"

I also have a Champion 600, that is a lot of fun. it overdrives very nicely, and also has a nice clean sound.

From GC I bought and returned a Roland Microcube, a Champ 600, a Bugera V5, and a Roland Cube 30 before settling on a Super Champ XD. I will not put down any of those other amps but I will say that once I had played the SCXD for a couple of days and replaced the speaker I could find no reason to keep shopping.
    THROUGH ALL OF OUR SENSES WE ARE AT THE END OF THE DAY JUST GODS WAY OF TASTING THE UNIVERSE